What is design-build?
The design-build method is a coordinated approach of the teaming of the owner, general contractor and design team from the onset the project development; a collaborative effort between the team preparing working drawings and those who will construct the project.
How does Design build work?
As the project manager of the design process The Alliance Group (TAG)’s role is:
- First learn about specific project criteria: use, timing, spec level, and budget
- Assist in the selection of the design team based on the specific project requirements
- Work with governing agencies to incorporate requirements
- Create and manage a schedule for the various steps of design
- Coordinate architectural, structural, plumbing, mechanical, Electrical, fire sprinkler, fire life safety and fire alarm design
- Provide comprehensive budgeting, segregated by Construction Specification Institute (CSI) cost codes. Update budgets at milestone points of the design process
- Provide value engineering to achieve the desired results in the most cost effective manner
- Obtain governing agency and utility permit and fee schedules
- Monitor agency plan check and approval process
- Facilitate competitive subcontract bid process
- Prepare Owner/Contractor Stipulated Sum agreement
- Construct project according to design documents, budget and schedule
What are the benefits of Design Build to the owner?
- Single Point of Contact
- The Alliance Group Commercial Construction Inc. functions as the central point of contact for the owner, coordinating the efforts and timelines of the various engineers
- Assistance with selection of the design team
- The members of The Alliance Group Commercial Construction have enjoyed first hand experience with a number of architectural and design firms in the local area and are familiar with their respective areas of expertise. Choosing an architect and design team well matched for a specific project is invaluable
- Cost Savings
- Realized by incorporating efficient construction methods and materials with greater value into the design
- Time savings
- Realized by streamlining the project design, overlapping the construction budgeting, subcontracting and scheduling. This results in quicker occupancy of the facility and reduced interest expense